Friday, December 23, 2016

Dinotopia painting, step-by-step



Here's a quick video that shows the painting sequence for an illustration in Dinotopia: Journey to Chandara. In the scene, Arthur Denison meets a retired musical conductor, surrounded by dinosaurs and musical instruments.

Old Conductor, 13 x 14 inches, from Dinotopia: Journey to Chandara
The drawing is pencil on heavyweight illustration board, sealed with matte fluid medium. Over the drawing, I start by lightly washing transparent oil paint, and then paint area by area, making sure I get the major faces and the statement of light the way I want them early on.

If you're getting this blog post as an email, you may need to follow this link to see the video on Facebook.
-----
The painting is from Dinotopia: Journey to Chandara (signed from my web store) or from Dinotopia: Journey to Chandara from Amazon
More about the steps in a picture like this in my book Imaginative Realism: How to Paint What Doesn't Exist (James Gurney Art)

4 comments:

Steve said...

Great to see the progression of this work. Two questions; were both the medium and oil paint thinned to achieve transparency? If so, what did you use to thin the paint?

James Gurney said...

Steve, I used turpentine and Liquin to thin the paint on the first wash-in, and then used the paint pretty much from the tube for the rest of the painting.

Thẩm mỹ cắt mí mắt said...

Over the drawing, I start by lightly washing transparent oil paint, and then paint area by area, making sure I get the major faces and the statement of light the way I want them early on cắt mí mắt bao lâu thì hết sưng.

Thẩm mỹ cắt mí mắt said...

Over the drawing, I start by lightly washing transparent oil paint, and then paint area by area, making sure I get the major faces and the statement of light the way I want them early on cắt mí mắt bao lâu thì hết sưng.