Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Journey to Chandara Back in Print

I'm pleased to announce Dinotopia: Journey to Chandara is available again from our web store. 


The new edition is a quality softcover that's 160 pages long, fully illustrated in color.

If you're not familiar with it, Journey to Chandara is a stand-alone sequel to the first two Dinotopia books, first published in 2007. It's a good introduction to the world of Dinotopia for readers of all ages, containing some of my most ambitious paintings and a storyline that brings us to a whole new realm of the island. 

The story opens with the discovery of a never-before-seen journal by the nineteenth-century explorer Arthur Denison. Denison's previous travel accounts, published as Dinotopia: A Land Apart from Time and Dinotopia: The World Beneath, introduced a lost island where dinosaurs and humans live together in peaceful interdependence.


Now Professor Denison and his saurian companion, Bix, set out on a perilous journey to the forbidden empire of Chandara. When their personal invitation from the emperor goes missing, they are forced to cross the border penniless and in disguise. 


Every step of the way, Denison documents in exquisite detail and the creatures, characters, and architecture he encounters: a village composed of three ships propped by on end, a fifty-foot-tall Brachiosaurus outfitted for fire fighting, an Allosaurus tending its hatchlings, young pilots air jousting on giant pterosaurs, and much more.


The land of Dinotopia is conjured by a brief but vivid narrative and a beguiling variety of visuals, including maps, cutaway views, and mechanical diagrams. The lives of the humans are intertwined with those of the dinosaurs and ancient mammals, all of which are actual species portrayed according to the latest scientific research. By turns whimsical, dramatic, and philosophical, the journal radiates a life-affirming vision that will cast a new light on the overlooked wonders of our own world.

Dinotopia: Journey to Chandara, signed from my website store. 160 pages, 10.25 x 9.625 inches, softcover with stitched signatures and cover flaps, $19.99 plus shipping. USA only. Also available from Amazon.

If you want the book personalized as a gift  (or made out to you), please send me an email right after your order. I'll also do a little dino-doodle in each book. Ships in 24 hours.


7 comments:

Aleta Karstad said...

I live in Canada, and would like an autographed copy of "Journey To Chandra". Your instructions say that this is not available in Canada. I could just order through Amazon, but I'd love an autographed copy of this book, as I have an autographed copy of your Color and Light book. I can't find your e-mail address.

Andrés Carrandi said...

It's great to know it's back on print. This is my favorite Dinotopia book. By the way, will the Alan Dean Foster books be available on Kindle anytime soon?

Thanks!

James Gurney said...

Andrés, No, not yet, sorry. I've just been so busy, haven't had a chance to set that up yet.

Bob said...

My book arrived today and it's beautiful! Compares favorably with the hardcover edition. And what you call a "dino doodle" might qualify as a remarque elsewhere. I'm quite pleased!

Aleta Karstad said...

Hi James, Aleta here again - I live in Canada - how can I get an autographed copy? You say that I should send you an e-mail after I've ordered it, but I can't find your e-mail address....

James Gurney said...

Hi, Aleta, It should be at the bottom left hand column of the GurneyJourney blog.

Sunshine & Gibberish said...

I just ordered a copy for my son and sent an email. I hope the signing offer still stands.

~An American Aleta ☺️