Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Painting Within a Value Gamut


Gouache Week continues with a brief trailer / sampler from the feature Gouache in the Wild. This time Jeanette and I are painting an ordinary gas station while our car is being fixed nearby. (Link to Video)

Color gamut, value gamut
In terms of hue, this is a complementary gamut of blue grays vs. yellow-oranges. I leave out reds, except what I can mix with burnt sienna. And I ignore greens, except very dull greens that I can mix with the few colors on the palette.

I also want to classify the tone values, pushing everything to a group of light tones and dark tones. I try to create the painting using the limited number of color notes represented by the swatches below:


Top row. 1. Light/Warm; 2. Light/Neutral; 3 Light/Cool.
Bottom row. 4. Dark/Warm; 5. Dark/Neutral; 6. Dark/Cool.



This Spartan color universe yields a strong value statement and it guards against the dullness that comes from painting everything in middle values.
------
Own the 72-minute feature "Gouache in the Wild"
• HD MP4 Download at Gumroad $14.95
• or HD MP4 Download at Sellfy (for Paypal customers) $14.95
• DVD at Purchase at Kunaki.com (Region 1 encoded NTSC video) $24.50

4 comments:

HNK said...

I bought a ticket and it is really fun to interact! Thank you!

Aljosa said...

Do you have any plans to make "Oils in the Wild" video, or something similar?

Steve said...

Perfect that the ruler reminded you to "Plan for Success."

Stapleton Kearns said...

You always post such interesting stuff. Thanks.